Situated in south central Tyler, the Brick Streets Historic District is approximately ½ mile south of Tyler’s original town square. The district encompasses 29 blocks of mid-19th century to mid-20th century residential, commercial and institutional development.
The neighborhood developed on parcels of varying sizes and shapes between 1848 and 1953 with the most intensive development occurring between 1890 and 1940. Single family dwellings predominate, however, duplexes, four-plexes and apartments are also present, as are a number of commercial buildings, a school and a church. Most are small and medium sized popular, revival style and modern dwellings built from 1890-1940 for middle and working class families.
A number of substantial, high-style residences built for Tyler’s elite and successful business-class occur along South College, South Chilton, South Bois d’Arc and West Houston. The brick streets were a draw for wealthy oilmen’s families relocating to East Texas.
Landscaping features include lawns, mature trees, perennial shrubs and stone. Brick and concrete walls reinforce the neighborhood’s character as do publicly funded infrastructure elements such as brick paved streets and stone-lined drainage channels. The district was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in January, 2004.